Consultancy: 2022 SDG Gender Index Editor/Writer
Equal Measures 2030 (EM2030) is a collaboration of national, regional and global leaders from feminist networks, civil society, international development and the private sector. We connect data and evidence with advocacy and action on gender equality, to transform the lives of women and girls and realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
EM2030’s flagship data product is the SDG Gender Index, first launched in 2019. The index aims to drive accountability for commitments to and for girls and women and their rights in line with the Sustainable Development Goals.With just 9 years left to achieve the SDGs, EM2030 is launching its second iteration of the SDG Gender Index in early 2022.
The index and associated products and analysis will aim to engage and galvanise gender equality advocates and policymakers to reflect on progress to date and to commit to accelerated action with and for girls and women.
Equal Measures 2030 seeks the services of an experienced report writer and editor to lead on the preparation of written content for a report (~30-40 pages and around 20,000 words) and online written content (estimated at short blurbs on ~30 online pages and a total of around 20,000 words) to share the findings of the index analysis in an accessible format for our primary audience of gender equality advocates and our secondary audience of policymakers and other gender equality champions.
The Index products will be launched publicly in Feb 2022, but lead times mean that the bulk of the written work will be done in November, December and early January.
The ideal candidate will have writing and editing skills, as well as some technical knowledge of gender equality issues, and will be able to help pull together different inputs and analyses into effective written products with a single voice. The inputs will be provided from a range of authors (for example, as bullet point text) and will require the consultant to bring them together and turn them into narrative text that flows. We are looking for a candidate who can help us ensure a central narrative and tone runs throughout the written pieces.
The ideal candidate will be self-starting, strategic and creative.
The EM2030 Secretariat team and partners are based across timezones and countries, meaning the ability to work remotely and flexibly will be essential. However, the consultant will have a single point of contact within the EM2030 team, and not be expected to play a liaison role with different authors.
The consultant is expected to:
• Draft cohesive narrative from a set of inputs/analyses from multiple authors (who will be working within templates to ensure some level of coherence) for a report (~30-40 pages and around 20,000 words). Ensure there is a strong story and clear explanation of data trends and findings to be used in advocacy.
• Compile, edit a set of short written pieces for the website (estimated at ~30 short blurbs and boxes and a total of around 20,000 words)
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
• At least 7 years of demonstrated experience in writing content related to development and gender equality, including communicating technical content into accessible English for advocacy and other non-researcher audiences, for reports, websites or other relevant content platform
• Creativity to communicate technical content in compelling ways for non-expert audiences
• Demonstrated experience crafting compelling report narrative and structure and incorporating content/inputs from several authors and sources
• Superior English-language skills
• Excellent organisational skills, including project management skills and ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to solve problems and propose solutions
• Demonstrated commitment to EM2030’s feminist and anti-racist values and principles
Timeline and estimated budget
• This work is expected to commence in early November 2021 and be completed by early February 2022 (November 2021 to mid-January 2022 are expected to be a “crunch period”).
• Anticipated budget allocation is $15,000-20,000 USD.
• Prospective candidates should submit:
o A letter of interest including proposed approach and considerations
o A CV
o Your daily rate and anticipated number of days
How to apply
• Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line “EM2030 2022 SDG Gender Index Editor/Writer”
• The deadline for submissions is 21st October 2021. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and we may choose to appoint early if we find the right candidate.